At about 10:15 a.m. on Thursday, the Olympian posted a brief article asserting that "Military equipment is on the move again at the Port of Olympia today and so are about a dozen anti-war protesters.[1]  --  At least three semi-trucks have left the port carrying Stryker vehicles used in Iraq back to Fort Lewis.  --  Anti-war protest leaders say they're mobilizing again, and a squad of police in riot gear is at the scene.  --  It was relatively quiet overnight, but in the past week 60 anti-war demonstrators have been arrested trying to block military equipment that is being unloaded."  --  Several hours earlier, the Olympian reported that no equipment had moved from the port on Wednesday "as police and demonstrators criticized the other side's conduct during the previous night's protest, which led to 43 arrests."[2]  --  The Olympian published a police list of 58 antiwar protesters arrested in Olympia since Nov. 8; their median age is 21.  --  A sidebar listed the "nonlethal weapons" the police have used against demonstrators:  Stinger balls, pepper guns shooting pepper balls, pepper spray, beanbag rounds shot from shotguns, and batons.  --  According to a recent article by Dave Young, "stinger balls" have "no chemical deployment and their sole function is to deliver a measure of pain to deter the subject,"[3] so it would appear difficult to justify their use against non-violent subjects — or, indeed, any of these weapons.  --  As for the "non-lethal" nature of the weapons used by the Olympia police, on Oct. 21, 2004, 21-year-old Victoria Snelgrove was killed by Boston police using a police-fired pepper spray pellet (a pellet is by definnition "a little ball or rounded mass"), leading the force to abandon the weapon (which had recently been acquired with Dept. of Homeland Security funds).  --  Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said that "They'll never again be used in the city of Boston."[4]  --  The incident led to the city of Boston paying a reported $5.1-million settlement.  --  It was reported in 2004 that the Seattle police removed pepper spray projectiles from its arsenal as a result of the Boston incident.  --  The weapon is reportedly used on the streets of Baghdad — and, apparently, on the streets of Olympia, WA....



Olympian (Olympia, WA)
November 15, 2007

[PHOTO CAPTION: Dressed in riot gear Olympia police watch at the terminal entrance as an armored Stryker vehicle is transported from the Port of Olympia to Fort Lewis Thursday morning.]

OLYMPIA, Wash. -- Military equipment is on the move again at the Port of Olympia today and so are about a dozen anti-war protesters.

At least three semi-trucks have left the port carrying Stryker vehicles used in Iraq back to Fort Lewis.

Anti-war protest leaders say they're mobilizing again, and a squad of police in riot gear is at the scene.

It was relatively quiet overnight, but in the past week 60 anti-war demonstrators have been arrested trying to block military equipment that is being unloaded.


By Christian Hill

Olympian (Olympia, WA)
November 15, 2007

[PHOTO CAPTION: Shizuno Wynkoop (center) and Soledad Picon (left) gather Wednesday night in downtown Olympia along with others involved in Tuesday's attempted peaceful protest at the Port of Olympia. The group held a candlelight vigil to oppose the treatment they received from the Olympia police.]

OLYMPIA -- After a week of unrest, the scene in and around the Port of Olympia was quiet Wednesday as police and demonstrators criticized the other side's conduct during the previous night's protest, which led to 43 arrests.

No equipment moved out of the port Wednesday, and a handful of people stood outside the port's main gate late Wednesday night.

Dick Machlan, the Olympia Police Department's administrative services manager, told reporters earlier in the day that protesters had been overly aggressive.

A small group of protesters threw rocks and rolled trash bins or threw debris onto roads Tuesday night to stop the convoys of Stryker vehicles, accompanied by patrol cars, after the convoys left the port through a secondary exit.

Windows at U.S. Bank's downtown branch were broken, and rocks thrown by a small group of protesters hit one officer in the knee and broke windows on a patrol car, Olympia police Lt. Jim Costa said Tuesday night.

Earlier Tuesday, port maintenance workers had found concrete on the railroad leading out of the property and removed it. Railcars carrying military equipment and vehicles moved from the port to Fort Lewis on Wednesday morning.

"We're monitoring for any other possible incidents," said Patti Grant, port spokeswoman.

Olympia police are accustomed to dealing with protests, but this group "moved it to a different realm," Machlan said.

"Some people are there to make a point about the war," he added. "But once the point has been made, they need to move on."

No one who was arrested was thought to have damaged property, Machlan said.

Protesters said it was police who escalated the situation, shifting from individually arresting protesters who blocked the port's main access road to using batons and pepper spray and dragging people to disrupt a nonviolent demonstration. Thirty-eight women and five men were arrested.

"Most of the people here are peaceful and would have submitted to being arrested without resisting," said Robert Whitlock, 29, one of the protesters who were arrested. He was at a vigil Wednesday evening at Percival Landing that drew more than 70 people.


[INSET] Police used these nonlethal weapons during Tuesday night's protests at the Port of Olympia:

•"Stinger balls" that explode and disperse rubber pellets were used at Fourth Avenue and Plum Street, Olympia Police Chief Gary Michel said. "They were used to where we needed to clear the intersection of Fourth and Plum rapidly," he said. "All along Marine Drive, people were throwing rocks at the convoys and police."

•Pepper guns were used to shoot pepper balls at protesters who would not leave the area, Olympia Police Sgt. Jim Partin said. The pepper balls contained pepper spray, and the pepper guns used to shoot them are similar to paintball guns, Partin said.

•Pepper spray also was sprayed at protesters. Pepper spray contains a chemical that is a derivative of hot cayenne peppers. It causes temporary blindness and inflames the breathing tubes, cutting off all but life-support breathing, according to, which sells pepper spray. [NOTE:  For more on pepper spray, and the fact that it is never appropriate to use it on nonviolent subjects, see here.]

•Beanbag rounds shot from shotguns were fired at protesters Tuesday night, Partin said.

•Batons were used to push people back. Asked about officers swinging batons at protesters, he said, "I'd be interested in looking at that." Michel added that whether baton-swinging is appropriate depends on the circumstances. "I can certainly imagine times when it would be appropriate," he said.


The Olympia Police Department on Wednesday released the names of the 58 people who have been arrested during the recent protests at the Port of Olympia. They are:

NOV. 8

•Shyam Khanna, 19, address unknown

•Evan A. Rohar, 21, Tacoma

•Johnathan Steiner, 20, Olympia


•Elizabeth W. Amory, 23, Olympia

•Christopher Grande, 18, Olympia

•Kathleen K. Hutchison, 23, Olympia

•Joji W. Kohjima, 20, Seattle

•Kyle M. Liedowitc, 18, Olympia

•Joseph J. Mills, 24, Olympia

•Davi Y. Rios, 21, Olympia

•Gabrielle K. Sloane, 24, Olympia

•James M. Steele, 18, Olympia

•Peter E. Vachon, 18, Olympia


•Joshua A. Eliott, 26, Olympia

•Luke E. Noble, 23, Olympia


•Amanda N. Askea, 22, Olympia

•Amory E. Ballantine, 23, Olympia

•Rachel A. Beckman, 18, Olympia

•Alexa Borken, 18, address unknown

•Erin E. Brigy, 18, Olympia

•Holly A. Carter, 26, Rochester

•Kimberly Y. Chaplin, 35, Olympia

•Emily P. Cox, 23, Olympia

•Jaime M. Crawford, 18, Olympia

•Sierra C. Daley, 20, Olympia

•Jennifer N. Delp, 25, Olympia

•Janis A. Duddles, 56, Olympia

•Rachel L. Erickson, 19, Othello

•Elizabeth Q. Evans, 19, Olympia

•Michelle L. Fleming, 20, Olympia

•Anna C. Gherard, 19, Olympia

•Samuel F. Green, 20, Olympia

•Valery E. Hagel, 21, Olympia

•William W. Hamilton, 60, Olympia

•Gabriel A. Hoffman, 20, Olympia

•Patricia G. Imani, 45, Olympia

•Madison S. Johnson, 20, Olympia

•Cristen Love, 26, Olympia

•Nicole M. Miller, 25, Rochester

•Daisy J. Montague, 24, Olympia

•Jarrett D. Olsen, 18, Olympia

•Michella C. Onnis, 18, Olympia

•Vita T. O'Shea, 25, Olympia

•Julianne E. Panagacose, 19, Olympia

•Emily A. Pieper, 21, Olympia

•Molly R. Porter, 23, Olympia

•Robin Rice, 18, Bellevue

•Jennifer N. Richards, 18, Olympia

•Andrea M. Robbins, 20, Olympia

•Fabiola Romero, 23, Olympia

•Kate C. Schiffman, 20, Olympia

•Gabrielle K. Sloane, 24, Olympia

•Stephanie N. Snyder, 24, Olympia

•Allison Van Nostran, 18, Olympia

•Katherine M. Waldeck, 20, Olympia

•Sarah L. Warren, 20, Olympia

•Robert F. Whitlock, 29, Olympia

•Shizuno M. Wynkoop, 26, Olympia


Specialized training and tactics

By Dave Young
May 25, 2007

When reviewing the Boston incident we want to focus on two important issues: one of being able to educate the media in the language used in explaining the specific incident, and the second, focus on training points.

If you review the Boston article you will see that the wording used to describe the weapon used was incorrect. For one there is no such weapon as a "Pepper Spray Gun." The actual weapon used was the FN303, which is designed not to cause serious bodily harm when used. This FN303 weapon deploys a round-shaped sphere which travels at a high rate of speed (Much more then the original PepperBall Launcher originally designed by Jaycor for the military) and is supposed to break apart at impact causing a chemical irritation and measure of pain.

These are two different weapons. The "Pepperball Launcher," deploys a lighter round which is designed to break at impact and may deliver a certain measure of pain, where the FN303 delivers a heavier round and it travels at a much faster velocity. Even though the FN303 round is designed to break at impact, its velocity pushes the round down range to the target faster.

I have been hit by both of these rounds at the distance of 20 feet, and both had different effects. The FN303 round hit with much more force, and out the three rounds fired only one broke at impact; the other two bounced off my calf. You could see the indention it made on the lower part of my jeans. It never penetrated the jeans but did in fact separate the fabric.

The "Pepperball" Launcher was deployed, the three rounds all broke at impact and delivered a certain amount of pain with no tearing or server damage to the lower part of the jeans.

Both left small dime- to quarter-size markings on my calf, called a hematoma, from the internal bleeding that was caused from the impact. Both minor blunt trauma marks, the FN303 rounds lasted about 12 days and the others about nine days.

The second misinformation was the "switching to a weapon that fires pellets at a lower velocity. The term pellets are used to describe small round in shape rubber balls measured at either .31 , .32 or .60 caliber. These are referred to stinger balls. These have no chemical deployment and their sole function is to deliver a measure of pain to deter the subject.

Our second focus is the training. Like any use of force tool an agency uses, training is paramount. Training in the basic nomenclature of the weapon, handling, and the operational aspects of it, how it will function and its design should be covered. In this industry we have two separate directions when it comes to training. One direction of training is from the manufacture on the technical design and specific information pertaining directly to their product and then the tactical deployment of the product.

Unfortunately it is very rare you receive both at the same time. The word training for departments usually begs the question, "How much is this going to cost us in equipment, man power, and compensation of personnel." Manufactures translate training into liability of what are they truly obligated under law to cover, and the user translates training as their own survival in, and out, of the courtroom.

There are always a series of procedures an officer goes through when selecting and deploying a weapon during any physical encounter. We follow our department model of the force continuum, and then look at the threat to define the perception of risk to both officer and subject, and then add it to the reality of our threat at hand.

[See the original link for a chart used in police training.]


By Dave Wedge

Boston Herald
[Posted on on Mar. 1, 2007; may predate]

Original source: Boston Herald

More than two years after an Emerson College student was killed by a police-fired pepper spray pellet during Red Sox revelry, Boston's top cop is vowing to forever ban the weapons, angrily saying they should be dumped in Boston Harbor.

"Never. They'll never again be used in the city of Boston," police Commissioner Ed Davis said of the FN303 "less-lethal" pellet guns.

Bought by the department with federal Homeland Security funds before the 2004 Democratic National Convention, the heralded crowd control weapons turned out to be a disaster for the city when 21-year-old Victoria Snelgrove was accidentally struck in the eye and killed by a pellet fired by police trying to quell Red Sox rioters.

Her Oct. 21, 2004, death marked the first and only time the weapons were used on Boston's streets. Former Commissioner Kathleen O'Toole shelved the department's 13 FN303s after the tragedy and they were stored in the armory.

Davis said he met with the commission that investigated Snelgrove's shooting and decided they weren't fit for the department. He said the weapons were "much more powerful than what they were perceived to be" and called crowd control projectiles an "inherent problem."

Asked if he might try to sell the guns, Davis said, "I was thinking more like (dumping them in) Boston Harbor."

He said the department will use other means of crowd control such as horse patrols or pepper spray foggers.

As for the FN303s, a police spokeswoman said they are slated to be taken to a factory where they'll be melted down and made into sewer caps.

In a statement, Mayor Thomas M. Menino said: "I fully support Commissioner Davis' decision to get rid of the pellet guns. What he decides to do with them is completely up to him."

A spokesman for the Snelgrove family declined comment. A spokeswoman for the gunmaker, FN Herstal, did not return a call.

A suit filed by the family against FN Herstal ended in an undisclosed settlement. The city paid a $5.1 million settlement and was reportedly reimbursed $438,000 as a result of the family's settlement with the gun maker.

The deadly mishap also resulted in the suspension of four officers, the demotion of a police captain and the retirement of the superintendent in charge of the scene.

Davis' ban of the guns was hailed by some city councilors.

"We have seen firsthand that these non-lethal weapons don't come as advertised," Councilor Michael Flaherty said. "I think Commissioner Davis is making the right decision."

Councilor Stephen Murphy said, "It's an unfortunate chapter that is best closed."

He added, however, that he would like the department to try to recoup the cost of the guns. The cost of the weapons and ammunition has been pegged at $36,000.

< "It's a horrible waste of money," Murphy said. "Rather than dump them in the harbor, I'd like to see if we can get something back for them."

--Michele McPhee contributed to this report.