Western media are becoming openly skeptical about propaganda about supposed Syrian "massacres."  --  On Saturday, Neil MacFarquhar of the New York Times led his piece with: "New details emerging Saturday about what local Syrian activists called a massacre of civilians near the central city of Hama indicated that it was more likely an uneven clash between the heavily armed Syrian military and local fighters bearing light weapons."[1]  --  "Although what actually happened in Tremseh remains murky, the evidence available suggested that events on Thursday more closely followed the Syrian government account."  --  Yet "[a]fter the high toll was announced from Tremseh, as was the case with Houla and other similar episodes, Western leaders lined up to condemn the mass killings of civilians."  --  BBC also reported that "inspectors' preliminary findings are more in line with the government's claims," but that "U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton suggested the Syrian army had "deliberately murdered civilians" in Tremseh.[2]  --  The Abu Dhabi National, which is owned by a government that is helping to arm the opposition, embraced the propaganda, however, and editorialized about "Hafez Al Assad's murderous collective-punishment strategy" and proclaimed: "Accoountability is certain after Syria massacre."[3]  --Mark]

 

1.

 

Middle East

DETAILS OF A BATTLE CHALLENGE REPORTS OF A SYRIAN MASSACRE
By Neil MacFarquhar

New York Times
July 14, 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/world/middleeast/details-of-a-battle-challenge-reports-of-a-syrian-massacre.html

BEIRUT -- New details emerging Saturday about what local Syrian activists called a massacre of civilians near the central city of Hama indicated that it was more likely an uneven clash between the heavily armed Syrian military and local fighters bearing light weapons.

The United Nations observers still on the ground in Syria sent a team in 11 vehicles to the village of Tremseh on Saturday to investigate what had happened, said Sausan Ghosheh, the spokeswoman for the monitors in Damascus, the capital.

Their initial report said the attack appeared to target “specific groups and houses, mainly of army defectors and activists,” Ms. Ghosheh said in a statement.  It said a range of weapons had been used, including artillery, mortars and small arms.

The report seemed to indicate that some people had been killed at close range -- it said there were pools of blood and blood spatters in several houses along with bullet cases.  The team also found a burned school and damaged houses.

The number of casualties remains unclear, it said, but the United Nations team planned to return on Sunday to continue investigating.

Before the United Nations team entered the town, a combination of videos, televised confessions of numerous captured fighters and reports from activists outside the area all indicated that a battle on Thursday between the military and local fighters in Tremseh, a village of 11,000 people about 22 miles northwest of Hama, resulted in a slaughter of rebel forces.

The videos that have emerged so far online, the source of much of the information on any fighting that is available outside Syria, have shown the victims to be young men of fighting age.  One showed 15 bodies.  Another one, said to show a group of reinforcements being sent to Tremseh, also showed a group of young men in civilian clothes carrying their personal weapons.

There were also new questions about the death toll, with initial figures from activists of more than 160 and other reports putting the toll at more than 200.  The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, an opposition group based in Britain that has a network of contacts in Syria, said that it had been able to confirm only 103 names, and 90 percent of them were young men.  There were no women’s names on the list of 103 victims obtained from activists in Homs.

An initial roster of 20 names published by the Syrian National Council, the main umbrella opposition group in exile, was mostly a list of men between 19 and 36, although it included the name of a 6-year-old boy.  Activists from the area contacted Saturday stuck to the narrative that there had been a massacre in Tremseh.

In previous massacres, however, like the one in Houla in late May, there was the immediate synchronization between the long lists of civilian names, the gruesome videos of dead women and children, and corroboration by United Nations observers who faulted the Syrian Army for using tank shells and other heavy weaponry against a civilian area.  That is missing in the case of Tremseh.

After the high toll was announced from Tremseh, as was the case with Houla and other similar episodes, Western leaders lined up to condemn the mass killings of civilians.  Col. Riad al-Assad, based in Turkey as the ostensible leader of the loose coalition of fighters called the Free Syrian Army, told the Arabic television network Al Jazeera on Thursday that there had been no opposition fighters in the town.

Although what actually happened in Tremseh remains murky, the evidence available suggested that events on Thursday more closely followed the Syrian government account.  But Syrian officials colored that account with their usual terminology of blaming “foreign terrorist gangs” for all violence.  The government said the Syrian Army had inflicted “heavy losses” on the “terrorists.”

The picture emerging is that there was a large group of fighters from the town and the local area bivouacked in Tremseh.  The Syrian Army moved in early Thursday, blocking all exits and blasting away with machine guns, tank shells and rockets fired from helicopters, laying waste to the town.

“Whenever the Syrian Army knows there are fighters concentrated in an area, they attack,” said the leader of the Observatory, who goes by the pseudonym Rami Abdul-Rahman for safety reasons. “The majority of people killed in Tremseh were either rebel fighters from the village or from surrounding villages.”

Syrian state television paraded several captured fighters on air on Saturday who said Tremseh had been a regional center of operations for the past 20 days. The captives said that 200 to 300 fighters had gathered there to plot attacks on checkpoints and other military targets.

“We clashed for hours in Tremseh, and even the leader of the local division was killed,” said a man identified as Mohammed Satouf, who said his role had been to produce YouTube videos from the area.  He said the rebel fighters used mostly small and light weapons.

State television also broadcast pictures of a roomful of weapons that it said had been captured from the town, the inventory mostly underscoring just what a crude and simple arsenal the opposition uses.  It included 54 guns, 9 rocket-propelled grenade launchers, 5,000 cartridges, 25 satellite telephones, and 24 mortars, the latter looking as if they had been welded by hand.

The broadcast also showed the identification card of what it said was a Turkish fighter in the group, and a captured man named Abdelsalem Darwish said there had been a Turkish fighter and some Libyans there, as well as money and arms from Turkey.

The official report also made the unlikely claim that government forces had killed no civilians, but that the dead civilians found in the town had been killed by the rebel fighters.

An initial report by United Nations observers who were unable to enter the town on Thursday said that they thought that the fighting there was a continuation of running battles in the area.

It said that Hama Province “continues to be highly volatile and unpredictable,” with the military targeting populated areas north of Hama on a large scale.

The internal report, titled “Restriction of Movement and Observed Cease-Fire Violation,” detailed the military activity the observers saw and the difficulty they had in trying to even talk to anyone from the Syrian military.

It said that during several hours watching the fighting from afar, the team had heard or seen 54 explosions; two flights of Mi-24 helicopters, including one firing air-to-ground rockets; sporadic heavy machine gun and small-arms fire; and plumes of black and white smoke.  It also noted that various vehicles in the area were transporting armed men, including one ambulance with a wounded fighter inside.

Local contacts checking in by telephone reported that 50 people were killed and 150 wounded in Tremseh, the report said.

--Dalal Mawad contributed reporting.

2.

SYRIA: TREMSEH KILLINGS TARGETED REBELS, U.N. SAYS

BBC
July 14, 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18840535

The government attack on the Syrian village of Tremseh mainly targeted the homes of rebels and activists, the UN mission in the country has said.

It said heavy weaponry including artillery and mortars were used.

A U.N. spokeswoman issued a statement after inspectors visited the scene of Thursday's attack, in which at least 200 people are said to have died.

The BBC's Jim Muir says the initial findings seem to contradict earlier reports of a massacre of civilians.

Instead, the inspectors' preliminary findings are more in line with the government's claims that it was attacking what it calls "nests of terrorists" or rebel hideouts, our correspondent says.

'BLOOD SPATTERS'

What appears to be certain is that government forces launched a major attack on Tremseh using heavy weapons, tanks and helicopters.

The use of such weapons is in violation of a commitment given to U.N. and Arab League special envoy Kofi Annan by the Syrian authorities.

"A wide range of weapons were used, including artillery, mortars, and small arms," U.N. spokeswoman Sausan Ghosheh said in a statement.

"The attack on Tremseh appeared targeted at specific groups and houses, mainly of army defectors and activists.

"There were pools of blood and blood spatters in rooms of several homes together with bullet cases."

Observers saw damaged houses and a burned school in the village, 25km north-west of the city of Hama.

They said that the number of casualties was unclear and added that they intend to return to the village on Sunday.

The attack of Tremseh has sparked international condemnation, but Syria's government has insisted this was a military operation against rebels.

The government says its armed forces mounted a special operation after tip-offs from local people about large numbers of armed rebels operating from hideouts in the village.

A statement from the Syrian military said the hideouts had been destroyed, with a large number of rebel fighters - or "terrorists" as the government calls them - being killed, and dozens captured.

Some were paraded on state TV, which also showed large quantities of arms and ammunition it said were seized.

'SHOCKED AND APPALLED'

Kofi Annan, special envoy to Syria, was among those who reacted angrily to the killings, saying he was "shocked and appalled".

U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said the attack cast "serious doubt" on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's commitment to the peace plan, while U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton suggested the Syrian army had "deliberately murdered civilians" in Tremseh.

Meanwhile, violence has continued elsewhere across Syria.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that hundreds of soldiers backed by helicopter gunships were reported to be attacking Khirbet Ghazaleh, in the province of Deraa.

The Observatory reported that 28 people were killed across the country on Saturday, among them a pregnant woman. On Friday, 118 people were killed, the group said.

Reports of casualties often cannot be independently verified, as Syria severely restricts journalists' freedom of movement.

Some 16,000 people are thought to have been killed since the uprising against Bashar al-Assad's regime began in March 2011.

The UN Security Council is currently debating the future of the U.N. observer mission in Syria, which is set to come to an end on 20 July.

Western nations want to increase the threat of sanctions in the new Security Council resolution on the future of the mission.

China and Russia remain opposed to any moves to threaten further sanctions.

3.

Editorial

ACCOUNTABILITY IS CERTAIN AFTER SYRIA MASSACRE

The National (Abu Dhabi)
July 15, 2012

http://www.thenational.ae/thenationalconversation/editorial/accountability-is-certain-after-syria-massacre

The so-called Hama rules no longer apply.  Thirty years after Hafez Al Assad's forces massacred civilians, killing tens of thousands, the landscape of Syrian and international politics has changed.  The Syrian people have shown that they cannot be intimidated. And state-sanctioned murderers cannot hope to escape justice.

While details are still emerging about this latest attack on the village of Tremseh in Hama province, the killing fits a pattern.  President Bashar Al Assad's forces pounded the village with artillery, tanks and helicopter gunships, before infantry moved in and conducted execution-style killings.  More than 200 people were killed, although it is unclear how many were combatants.  U.N. observers are reporting systematic Syrian air-force operations in civilian areas.

The world has been at a loss about how to end the violence.  But the Syrian regime's brutality and total disregard for civilian lives is a serious miscalculation -- Hafez Al Assad's murderous collective-punishment strategy will not work today.  Indeed, U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon expressed outrage yesterday, saying that more massacres were inevitable in the absence of international intervention.  U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warned:  "Those who committed these atrocities will be identified and held accountable."  Justice for the perpetrators may not arrive tomorrow, but it is inevitable.

Information and international scrutiny make this an entirely different situation from that of 1982.  It is this knowledge that is increasingly a factor in defections by senior officials.  The defection last week of Nawaf Al Fares, Syria's ambassador to Iraq, demonstrated that Assad loyalists will be under increasing pressure from their own communities because of the regime's brutality.

The regime's days are numbered, but each one of those days costs lives.  U.S. intelligence sources confirmed yesterday that the Syrian military had moved chemical weapons, possibly carrying Sarin nerve gas, to the region of the city of Homs, although the move could be meant to prevent the weapons from falling into rebel control.  The folly about "weapons of mass destruction" that led to the Iraq War argues strongly for caution about drawing conclusions, but the weapons, in either side's hands, are a serious concern.

There remains no clear solution to end the violence, although a critical mass of defections would topple the regime.  But, in this information age, what is beyond doubt is that these perpetrators will have nowhere to hide when the regime does fall.  Neither Syrians nor the world will forget Tremseh.